Banner advertising is one of the most time tested and long lasting technique of online advertising that will be continuing being around for a long long time to come.
Usually people getting buzz around new things that happening, like we see now with Facebook advertising, and they forget about very powerful statistics – banner advertising getting more traffic every single month than Google! And banner advertising it’s much easier traffic.
There are so many opportunities available for you to advertise because almost every existing website can be a potential place for you to advertise your business.
Here are quick principles behind banner advertising:
What makes a good banner ad
- Keep in mind that you’re taking them away from something they were presumably looking for.
- Catch their attention.
- Make a big promise (you can backup).
- Simplicity – no thinking required.
- Animation ad – works better because it grabs people’s attention.
- Sometimes an ugly ad works even better – sounds crazy, but it’s proven.
- Test like crazy to find the winner – background, headline, graphic.
Root reason people click
- Self preservation – this will ensure my place in the world and preserve/improve my standing.
- Celebrity – has already figured ‘it’ out.
- Authority – has the secret.
What’s the very next action you want them to take after they see your ad?
Your main goal is to get people click on the ad, and then your website has to do the rest of the job. Every piece of your marketing is to take people to the next step. For example, purpose of banner is to get people to click, and then when they get to website, the main purpose is to get opt-in, after that is sale page, and sale page purpose is to sell your stuff.
Banner creation resource
- CPM – cost per 1,000 impressions.
- CPC – cost per click.
- CPA – cost per action.
- Flat Rate – $x per month.
Work the deal with the website owner
- Know your best case and worst case numbers.
- Ask for past performance of other advertisers.
- Ask for a 24hr out clause.
- Ask for a deal.
- Check on the Alexa or Quantcast how much website has traffic.
- Always present yourself like you’ve done this plenty times.
Track your own results and hold them accountable
- Deliver on promise.
- Compelling offer.
- Different traffic source, different results, test and segment.
- Submit button color/text
Is this working?
- Hold people accountable to traffic estimates.
- Double check their reporting.
- If you get big, get an adserver and bill off your numbers.
- Give it time before making any changes, but don’t go broke wishing and waiting – 50 to 100 conversions.
You are looking for a place that will make you money. You put there banner and you know that every single month you will make sales from that banner, and you know how much it will cost you.
This is just a stable piece of advertising that brings in money, brings in customers, month after month after month… But you have to go through a lot of testing to find that winning banner and spot.
This article is part of the Online Advertising Tutorial.
Click Play Below To Listen The Valued AudioPost!